Monday, March 31, 2008

A note about spelling;

FYI I am the best speller in my house. And the fact that that statement is true is an inconceivably huge joke. I would be hard pressed to find a report card of mine that did not include the two phrases "poor penmanship" and "spelling needs improvement".
There are, however, a few words that I spell the way I spell them because I have declared them so spelled! Does that make any sense?
I have declared the words 'alot' and 'atleast' to each be one word, not two words each, a lot & at least, as recommended by every spellchecker I have encountered. I believe there are other words that I have declared the spelling of, but I can't remember them right now. I'll let you know when they come up.
I just didn't want you to think I was making thoughtless mistakes - I am, infact, making informed decisions and they are spelled that way because I have decided it so.
Too bad I can't seem to take charge of the rest of my life as that way - just decide that it is so...
PS - I know, I know, this was not a "real post". I have not forgotten my promise to post soon. I guess "soon" is such a relative term...
PSS You can add the word 'infact' to "my declared so spelled" list too!

4 comments:

Mary said...

That's very poetic licensey of you.

Elizabeth said...

Herb views rigorously correct spelling as snobbery; used only to keep the common man (or woman) down.

Unknown said...

I just blame my fingers when words get spelled wrong :-)

Gran' Kathi said...

I don't know about those other two, but when I was little (& I'm not saying how long ago) ALOT WAS sometimes spelled as one word, like that, and it is frustrating for me,
too, when the spell checks tag it all the time, now!